CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 9, 2008

School

Well, I can't believe the 3rd week of school is almost over with. I am taking 4 classes for a total of 16 hours. Animal Husbandry & Disease, A&P, Hematology & Medical Techniques. Medical Techniques is basically what it says...we are learning how to perform medical techniques on live animals. (i.e. SQs, IMs, IPs & bio feed needles so far) Yay!! So far we have been working with mice & rats. Next week we get to work on bunnies. (our dogs are coming in sometime towards the end of the month.) :o) The two labs this week have been a little nerve racking because all the teachers come around & one will grade each of us on a certain technique for that particular lab. (we were graded in restraining a mouse & then a rat during an IP injection.)
A&P probably has the most homework out of all the classes. We have a quiz every lab in A&P. It makes it nice though to have a quiz that often. It really helps me to stay disciplined & study. One of our teachers has us look up a drug for every lecture packet she hands out. I actually like it because it is helping me to become familiar with different drugs.
I'm also Secretary of our SCNAVTA organization. It is our Student Chapter of National Association of Vet Techs in America. We are going to do fundraisers to go towards an animal charity.
It's really keeping me busy with everything combined with working. I'm in school Mon through Friday & work Mon, Wed. Fri. & Sat. & anything extra I can get in. It's going to be tight financially, but it will be worth it.
Tomorrow morning we go on a field trip to a couple of horse farms to vaccinate, etc... I'm excited. I will try to remember to take my camera to get some pictures. :D

Well, gotta go stick my head in some books. :o)

2 comments:

Lisa Holloway Slater said...

Hi Christal. Looks like you are quite busy with school. I am sure you are loving it. How much longer do you have to go? Talk to you later. Love you, Lisa

Christal said...

LOL! Yes, I'm having a lot of fun...even though it's stressfull at times. :o) I will be finished with classes in June, then I have boards & a 6 week summer preceptership. If all goes well then I should graduate in September 2009. Love ya, Christal