CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Field Trip

Friday our class went on a field trip to vaccinate some horses at two different stables! Yay! It was a lot of fun! I gave one horse an IM injection in the butt. First, I cleaned the area with some alcohol, then I removed the needle from the syringe & stuck it in the butt muscle (talk about a horse jumping out of it's skin!)...then while the horse was kicking I had to attach the syringe, aspirate then inject. My heart was pounding furiously!! I've been around horses plenty enough, but this was a new experience. :o)
We were all doing this in groups of about 4 or 5 people. I got to teach the other ladies in my group how to halter a horse & to pick out the hooves. It was fun! It made me feel good to show them & watch their faces light up. We all got to do different things (injections in the butt, neck, nose, listen to gut sounds & heart). I also got to give in IN. Of course the horse didn't like the long plastic flexible straw-like needle going up it's nose. (I wouldn't like it either) Two of the ladies in my group got to draw blood. They were so happy to be able to do that. (as you can see Tammy in the picture below with her syringe of horse blood) :P
I think by the end we were all excited for our next field trip this coming Friday. There will be goats & other farm animals besides horses at the next field trip.
Here are two pictures that I took...Laura & Tammy also took some pictures (with me actually in the picture)...so hopefully I will get them this week & will post them.
Well, it's back to studying for two tests tomorrow & one on Wed.


Laura, Katie, Christy & Tammy


Tammy with her "souvenir"

0 comments: